Buildings and Places
Hubner Psychopathic Building
Where is it?
Who built it?
Springfield Hospital Center
Parker, Thomas, and Rice
1914 - 1915
Currently the beautifully renovated Maryland State Police Training Academy, the Hubner building was at the heart of Springfield's operations for many years. The building is named after John Hubner, a Baltimore politician, largely considered the father of Springfield, because of his efforts to have it built.
The Hubner building served as the entry point for new patients. They arrived here for their initial diagnosis. Some patients stayed here for treatment. It housed both male and female patients. Most patients only remained here briefly before they were situated elsewhere.
Dr. Ellis Margolin, who served as pathologist, performed nearly 3,000 autopsies here. You can read about him in Sykesville Stories, Volume 1. Helen Starliper, of the book "Searching for Helen of Two Locks," spent several months here in the early 1950s.
It was designed by Parker, Thomas, and Rice, and built in 1914, with Henry Adams serving as the consulting engineer and John Waters as the contractor. Two wings were add in 1930, with hospital employees installing most of the electric wiring, hot water system, and ventilating ducts.