Buildings and Places

Sykesville Town House

chapel_edited.jpg

7547 Main St, Sykesville, MD 21784, USA

Where is it?
Who built it?
When?
Main Street, Sykesville
J. H. Fowble
circa 1863

About

Although it's the seat of the town's government today, and was repainted and largely renovated in 1999, the so called town house was a home for many years, going all the way back to the Civil War.


Like so many others, it was built by Fowble and occupied for many years by John and Kate McDonald. McDonald owned and operated the old stone store.


Another family that lived in the house for many years, was the Ridgelys. This is Wade Warfield's daughter Josephine and her family.


In more modern times, it was covered in ugly siding and shared with the police department, who on occasion would handcuff prisoners to the radiators while waiting to transfer them to Westminster.


It was Thelma Wimmer who pushed the town to purchase the building, but it wasn't until the Herman administration that it was actually restored.