Buildings and Places
The Wade Warfield Store
7562 Main St, Sykesville, MD 21784, USA
Where is it?
Who built it?
Main Street, Sykesville
J. H. Fowble
This is Wade Warfield's store on Main Street. There are two dates on the store, 1889 and 1909, but it must have been built in 1889. The picture here is taken in recent times when it was a business place for Morrow and referred to for many years as the Morrow building.
J. H. Fowble built the store. In 1910, the Democratic Advocate wrote the following about the store:
"Wade H. D. Warfield and company carry a line of builder's hardware, mechanics' and gardener's tools, paints, oils, varnishes, brushes, heavy hardware, blacksmith's supplies and scores of innumerable articles found in a thoroughly equipped store that has been supplying the needs of a large community for nearly a quarter of a century."
They continue: "The storeroom is neatly arranged and provided with carefully labeled compartments reaching from the floor to the ceiling. . .The store contains general and private offices and the building is equipped with an elevator, is heated by steam and lighted by acetylene which rivals sunlight in its intensity, thus making one of the most attractive stores in the state."
Warfield had a large lumberyard behind the store, where's there's a big parking lot today.